Saturday, December 30, 2017

Now that Christmas is over....on to gardening.

As much as I love Christmas, once everything is taken down and put away, I get bitten by the gardening bug. The planning begins, the seed catalogues get studied and dog eared and orders put together. I love this part of gardening as much as the actual getting dirty, digging and weed pulling part.

Galeux D'eysines Pumpkin (or Peanut Pumpkin)

Sungold Tomato

These two types of seed are available from Westcoast Seeds. 
The Sungold Tomatoes are the most delicious cherry Tomatoes I have ever tasted.
I cannot wait!!

Monday, December 25, 2017

Christmas Dinner gives me so much joy. I love feeding my family.

I enjoy setting a lovely table with my beautiful old Wedgwood dishes and Gallia Crystal. It is like a comfortable old friend. 

Sunday, December 10, 2017

And the Christmas decorating begins...

It took ages to find this old fashioned candy my grandmother always had for us. 

My tree top angel all beautiful and ready for the tree tomorrow. 

Friday, December 01, 2017

The most beautiful cookies I have ever seen.

My name is Erin and I am a Pinterest addict. No really. I spend at least an hour a day looking for beauty in photographs!! Last night I stumbled on a cookie maker named Teri Pringle Wood. And this is what she does....

Check out her Facebook page !!!

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Lighting my Greenhouse at night

Thanks to my mother, I now have light in the greenhouse. I was describing to her how I would grab my little Lee Valley flashlight in the evening and go out to check things. I need to see where I’m walking, as I have a real fear of squashing slugs onto my shoes. Blech. Also trying to work in there in a thin stream of light is virtually impossible. So I was saying I wanted to put a light out there. Mom said, why don’t you get a remote control one then it would be on when you went in, instead of looking for the switch in the dark. I had no idea what she meant. Well it turns out you can get a plug in that is triggered by remote control like a TV. I got one called Woods Wireless Remote from Home Hardware. It works perfectly, even through glass and deck furniture. Mom also gave me a outdoor floodlight which I am using temporarily. It is smashing. Check this out. 

These pictures were taken in low light, so they are a bit fuzzy.

Saturday, November 25, 2017

A very quick lawn update!!

Look how the lawn has thickened up on the closest side here. I am so thrilled. 

And the shade garden completely buried in willow leaves. 

The Pink Lady Apple stayed perfectly straight in the huge windstorm the other night...without support. 

Monday, November 20, 2017

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Japanese Maples are exquisite this year.

This is neighbour Judy’s maple tree. It fills her whole front yard. 

Pink Lady Apple Tree....on the move

This Pink Lady Apple Tree did not produce any fruit this year. No surprise really, the willow has grown right over top of it, shading it for much of the day. Today I am moving it to a very prime location.  

This is one of last years Pink Lady Apples. Not only is it beautiful, but the taste is wonderful.

After an incredible battle digging it out, it is now in its permanent home. 
This location gets sun pretty much all day. 

Sunday, October 01, 2017

A few flowers in and by the greenhouse

My sisters incredible geranium

Gartenmeister fuchsia

My Owari Satsuma Mandarin Orange has been planted in the raised 
garden in the greenhouse.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

The back yard makeover, four months in the making...done.

The relief and joy I am feeling.....I can barely put into words. I knew it was going to be a heavy and long project. I just couldn't bring myself tear everything out and send it to the compost facility, even though it would have been about a three week project instead of four months. I just felt I had to hand sort all the mulch and pick out the bigger wood chips. Then carefully gather up the compost and manure and move all of it into the gardens that will remain. So some of it went way over to the other side of the far yard. One wheelbarrow at a time....{are you feeling ANY sympathy yet, or do I need to get even more dramatic?}, in the hot sun, for about four months. This past weekend, I got the rest of the back yard grass seeded, and sprinklers set up. I wish I had that on video.....the tap is actually located in the sprinkler overlap, so as I was trying to get them aligned perfectly, I was in the path of at least one sprinkler almost the whole time. It was pretty funny actually, I looked like a drowned rat.

Friday, September 22, 2017

The Blueberries have been moved and the new garden defined.

It was a brutal job, what with the dry summer and solid clay, but I dug out the Blueberries and moved them into the new smaller garden. It actually looks better and I have a feeling that they will be much happier there. They will not be out in the centre of a garden in the hot sun. They will get a bit of shade at the roots and coolness from the apple trees.


Below is a photo of where they were. They are just on the left of the tire tracks. There are not a lot of leaves on the Blueberries, so they are hard to see. Sad isn't it. They did not do well there. I think it was just too dry and hot with no garden around them this year. To the left, or behind them, are some lavenders that have been moved. The Blueberries were moved to the area just behind the lavenders. It sure looks better now doesn't it.