I was gazing down the little path along the blueberry row, and it struck me suddenly that if I excavated the grass strip along the existing row of blueberries, I could move the path there and make a double sided Blueberry Walk. I knew that what seemed like a simple project, would not be. I have a yard of clay. It is awful. In the summer you literally cannot get a shovel into it. It needs to be chipped away.
I began with the excavation. It left blueberry roots exposed for a while. I covered the roots with a layer of straw and kept them well watered. Then I excavated the ridge of soil that was beside the path. Each of these projects took a weekend. Then the bark mulch path was filled in.
I have not mounded the mulch on them yet, as I've made little moats around them to keep them intensively watered during this hot summer. I will mound in the winter. For all intents and purposes...the Blueberry Walk is complete. It took three months. It looks much better than I had imagined. Also, I cannot believe how many blueberries we got this year. Oh gardening life is good. This pioneer woman is a happy camper.
Post a Comment